Self tapes have become the most common first round of auditioning. They are added through the client’s page. In TagMin, Self-tapes are a treated just like Meetings, with ‘Submit by’ times and dates in place of ‘Meeting’ times and dates.
Many Casting Directors/Production Companies will state their preferred method of taping. The most common of these are: WeTransfer, TagMin Tapes, DropBox and Vimeo.
At the end of Monday meetings we often watch a Playlist of recent self-tapes. These are added by the clients themselves for various reasons, e.g. they want feedback, or feel the tape shows them off well, introduces us to a part of their skillset they think we could do with seeing, or sometimes just for the lols.
What to do
Receiving a Self Tape Request
- Create Self Tape on Tagmin
- Contact Client
- Update Status
- Record in Weekly Journal
When a Client has sent a Self Tape
- Update Tagmin
- Update the Weekly Journal
- Does the client want to upload to Self Tape playlist?
How to do
Receiving a Self Tape Request (Click to expand)
1. Create Self Tape on Tagmin
- Go to the client’s TagMin page by searching their name in the client search bar on the top left of the screen or by scrolling through the Client tab.
- Once on the client page, find the Self Tape tab and press the “+” button.
- Import client booking by typing the name of the project into the search field. If you cannot find the name of the booking double check on Spotlight and see if you can find the original Submission.
- If the request has come in on the day of the submission, Spotlight won’t have imported the information yet. You can import this information by clicking on the small Spotlight icon on the top right and searching for the relevant job.
- Make sure you are importing the correct booking – some submissions may have similar names eg. there may be multiple submissions for 2McDonalds”. Check it is the right one.
- Fill in the ‘submit by’ date. This is the time and date that the casting director has said they want the tape by.
- If a time is specified, please add it, if not, you can ask for a specific time frame from the person requesting the tape, if you still find yourself without this info, use your common sense and agree a reasonable time frame with the client and input this, as it will not allow to save the tape without a ‘Submit By’ time/date.
- The With section should autofill. If not, make sure you link contact to the relevant name.
- To do this, click on the link symbol and a box will open which offers “link contact”. Click on the ‘+’ button and start typing contact’s name. If it does not appear, it is not in our system and will have to be added before you create the meeting.
- Click on the ‘+’ button “create contact” and manually add all detail here. Click the red “LINK” button and the contact will be added to our system. You MUST make sure there is a contact to link this to before completing the booking.
- The following sections should autofill with information from Spotlight, if it doesn’t or the original submission came from elsewhere, you can manually input it.
- Booking type: Commercial/Stage/Film etc.
- Project title: Make sure this is filled with a relevant name.
- Summary: Should auto-fill, if not copy any info from the original breakdown.
- Role: As above
- Role Description: As above
- Meeting type: Is it an Audition/Chat/Screen test?
- Notes for Client: In the “notes for client” section, fill in how the booking came in and how. Example: Maddy Hinton called/Laura from Hammond Cox emailed), plus anything the client will need to know about. Example: ‘use a German accent/wear a suit’ etc.
- Please copy over information from any emails received here.
- Agreements – Check BSF, Usage etc. are listed here and if not copy and paste from Summary / Email / pdf attached to sub etc.
- Tape Destination – select from dropdown and paste link into Destination Details box
- Dates At this stage the date info will be in the box Date Information, rather than populating the calendar, double check that the information on dates is consistent with the request, as this can change from the original Submission.
- If the Submission came from somewhere other than Spotlight, click the Additional Information tab at the bottom, go to the Source dropdown box and select the relevant answer.
2. Contact Client
- Check their Contact Preferences using the Performance Grid.
- If possible, phone with all information. If not, make sure you email/WhatsApp all information asking for confirmation asap.
- If you have to leave a message, email or WhatsApp, make sure you ask them to confirm, making sure you give them as much info as possible.
- Update Status on TagMin. Scroll to the bottom and select Send by email to send the client the TagMin information and forward any relevant scripts or info that have been sent.
- TagMin can always be amended if we need to ask for another time or pass on the request.
3. Update Status
- Client Told: Yes/No/Left Message
- Client Attending: Unconfirmed/Yes/Passed
- Status Notes: Any relevant info. Ie; client is out of the country but will confirm attendance by tomorrow.
- Feedback: This box is for after meeting, if contact has any feedback for the client, please put it in here, as well as passing it directly onto the client themselves.
4. Record in Weekly Journal
- Record incoming information (phone call or email from casting director/production company) in relevant section of WJ, starting with date of contact, your initials, the client initials, who the contact is and what it’s about.
- Log the Meeting under the CASTINGS heading, starting with date of meeting, initials of client and details of who it’s with and what it’s for.
- Record the status of the client’s response with either CONFIRMED, UNCONFIRMED, or PASSED
When a client has sent a tape (Click to expand)
1. Update Tagmin
- Go into the client record
- Go to the Self Tape record
- Log the Sent to Contact time and date
2. Update the Weekly Journal
- Change the status of the tape from CONFIRMED to SENT
3. Does the client want to upload tape to Self Tape playlist?
- Reply to let the Client know that you’ve done it and remind them to add their tape to the Self Tape playlist if they want to – you can send them this TOM article by right-clicking and copying the link, then pasting it into the email..